Thursday, December 10, 2009

Czech Recipe #1...wins and losses

Jon was right. I was disappointed, but that is jumping ahead a little.

Recipe #1: "Kolaches"
c/o Helen Horak Nemec near Czech Village in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Recipe yields 6 dozen. (Really? I mean who needs 6 dozen in one sitting?)

This recipe sounded as unassuming as every other recipe in the book, so why not give it a shot? I was able to make 3 pans worth: two large jelly roll pans, and square cake pan. My logic was that the kolaches would be forced to rise up the sides of the pan and up against each other. (This is a rule my grandfather had taught me in order to make good, puffy biscuits.)

Results: Minor success. The kolaches in the square pan did fluff up some. (Not the 2 inches they are supposed to be, but a modest 1/2 an inch.) Thankfully, they were not pancakes or bricks.

I hung my head in shame and took them to the office the next day. My poor co-workers.
Thanks for nothing Helen Horak Nemec near Czech Village in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments! What's cookin'?