Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Easiest Recipes in the Universe. Sort of

Don't you hate it when someone says "Oh,_____ is so EASY to make!" Well, I do. It makes me feel like a complete moron after I screw it up. It seems like every recipe in the universe has an "easy" version. It is really quite irritating to a budding cook. Most of those recipes really aren't "easy", the just require fewer ingredients, or rely more heavily on processed or pre-fabbed components. Boo. Don't get me wrong, I am not so hard core as to take on a professional version (I saw one recipe calling for blanched almond slices!); however, I abhor the pretentiousness of those who call all their recipes "easy". So, in the spirit of not calling a recipe easy, I found a simplified Macaroon recipe that requires only 4 ingredients, but produces large delight. Behold, the macaroon...


All the above ingredients: 1 bag o' coconut flakes, 1 can condensed milk, vanilla, almond extract.
Non-imitation almond if you are hardcore. Imitation almond extract if you are cheap and cooking for the office.


You dump the coconut (which is neither cocoa or a nut, but I digress) into a large bowl, pour in the can of sweetened milk. Then add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Then, VERY carefully measure out 1 1/2 teaspoons of almond extract. OR, if you are like me, accidentally pour in 1/2 the bottle because it is so thin that it overflowed the measuring spoon and got everywhere before I could blink twice. Mix well.

If you have the time, put the mix in the fridge for a couple of hours and it is easier to form into little balls. If not, just squish them into teaspooned balls on a cookie sheet that has been covered with foil and well greased. Bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes, or until the smoke detector goes off. Get them off the pan and onto wax paper IMMEDIATELY after coming out of the oven or they will stick like glue. I melted chocolate and dripped on for drama. Enjoy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and store at room temperature. These came out chewy. I don't know if they are supposed to be firm or chewy, but they have been well received. Keep your fingers crossed to see if I win the cookie division of the contest.


"Not Easy" but Simplified Macaroons

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments! What's cookin'?