Friday, August 26, 2011

First Cake Done for the Shoot

Last night I finished the rainbow cake for the shoot. Jon and I went round and round about leaving it plain white until the actual shot of it getting it cut, but to me it just looked too plain. I got the bright idea to do a border of rainbow candies to make it look a little more finished.

I bought some Skittles and thought everything was going to be fine. Turns out when you taste the rainbow, you only get red, orange, yellow, green, and purple. No blue. No blue = no rainbow.  Luckily, I had a stash of plain M&M candies that are about the same size so I was able to complete the rainbow. However, keep in mind that there aren't purple M&Ms unless its the Easter season or you want to go buy a custom color assortment. So what I did was use all the colors of M&Ms (because I like the taste better than Skittles) and used only the purple Skittles on the final product.

I put a nice fat layer of icing all the way around and waited for it to crust. With the help of my new turntable, I got a much smoother effect overall. There is also a paper towel trick I am going to have to show you that also helps you get a smoother coating with butter cream icing. That is for another time, though. Here I am adding the border for the rainbow cake.

R.O.Y.   G.    B.I.V. 

All done. Sorry for all the clutter in the background.

1 comment:

  1. WOOHOO!!! We LOVED the work of art you made for Olivia!!! Thank you so much... and a special thanks to your hubs for hosting my hubs during our vehicular "uh oh"!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! =)

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments! What's cookin'?